Wednesday, July 4, 2012

How do you say "Don't Push!"?

(I typed this up Tuesday night, but didn't have an internet connection to post it)

Working with kids is always an adventure, but it’s even more interesting when you can’t communicate the way you would like to. Kids club today brought even more children. I don’t know if we had a final head count… it’s hard to count when the kids are coming and going… but I’m sure we had somewhere around 100.

Each class time we have a couple of games, a couple of songs, a story, a verse, and today we had a “craft”. We had wordless book bracelets for each of the kids. Some of them we had prepared ahead of time because we knew it would just be too much to try to have each of the kids make it on their own. However, I think we’ve decided that trying to do a craft with that many children might not be something that would be really productive.

Also, after every class time, they give a piece of bread to each child. Tonight, they also gave the children something to drink. The children were told to get in a line, but some of the children couldn’t just stand nicely. I did my best to try to communicate, but I just didn’t know how to say “Don’t Push”. I can say wait, but perhaps my words aren’t as effective if I’m not fluent in Spanish. :p

The church here, is in the process of raising funds for the renovation project. Apparently half of the total amount needs to be raised by next Friday. So, today we spent a little bit of time passing out flyers for a special music service they are having at the church Wednesday night. During this time, they will have fundraisers to help put toward the amount needed. Please pray that they will be able to raise these funds.

Unfortunately, I can’t really tell you how the work project itself is going. I tried to venture in there to take some pictures today, but I could barely even see the guys because of all the dust. So, hopefully, I will have an update on that soon.

No comments: